Friday, February 26, 2010

Cultural Diversity

I am a native born American, but my parents are from Pakistan. I had the chance to visit the country with my family in the summer of 2003. It was a tremendous experience, where I learned a lot about my extended family, as well as the culture of Pakistan.

First off, I think that the concept of an extended family is put to great value. This is not to say that Americans don't value their extended family, just that Pakistanis seem to put a great amount of emphasis on it. For instance, when i was visiting, it wasn't unusual for one of my other relatives to stop by my aunt's house (where we were staying), unannounced. The spontaneity of these moments brought forth more joy. I just think that this concept is not foreseen as the norm in American Culture. Also, living arrangements seem to differ a bit as well. It is not unlikely, but rather appreciated if a guy still lives with his parents even after he gets married. Parents are of extreme importance in the Islamic world altogether, so it is definitely highly appreciated if a son does this for his parents. If he does choose to live separate, he must take some financial and social responsibility of his elders. This is not only subject to his parents, but his uncles and aunts, as well as his in-laws. Again, there are definite instances of this in America, but personally I don't think that it is regarded to that extent.


Islam is the dominant religion in the country of Pakistan. The religion forbids alcohol in all cases (drinking, profiting). Alcohol in the general western culture is seen as okay to say the least. Beer ads are the driving force of sports, as well as college life. This being said, every individual is entitled to their own opinion/beliefs. On a whole, since alcohol is forbidden in Islam, it is forbidden in Pakistan. This doesn't mean that 100% of people living in Pakistan don't drink (means of smuggling etc), but it is highly disapproved of. Having college students not drink seems a bit out of touch in the American culture. Students love talking about "getting hammered," and events like new years seem fitting for it. The fact of the matter is, the religious and cultural differences are very wide ranged between the two countries.


Personally, I try to follow my religious and cultural practices as much as possible. Even though I was born and raised in New York, I try to keep true to my religion and culture/family values. Learning about other cultures is vital in this age. Nearly every aspect of life involves a global relationship amongst many different countries. For instance, if executives from the World Bank in Dubai visit America, the Americans should know not to serve alcohol with dinner, or non halal meat for that matter. A small thing like that could sever ties for perhaps striking a deal. The conclusion to this post is that we all should be interested and aware of other cultures around us. It can, not only benefit us personally, but can make the world a better place altogether.

4 comments:

  1. Farhan, the culture in Pakistan is very similar to the culture in India. Just like in Pakistan, people in India drop by their friends and family's houses all the time. I try to balance my Indian and American culture. Although it can be difficult at times, I know how important my religion and Indian culture are to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty funny that you mention the concept of family values, because I actually just got out of a debate about it. In Montenegro, there is no such thing as a cousin. Instead, we call each other brother/sister from this uncle/aunt. This allows the family to be much stronger because it eliminates the idea that someone is your third or fourth cousin and instead this person is your brother/sister from such and such relative. Not that I have anything against Americas idea of the family but I am amazed that this exist in other countries as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farhan, I for one stand by you with the "extended family" claim. It is sooooo true. In Trinidad (where I am from), the extended family is one of the most important informal social structures. It is on through this interaction within the family that there is the transfer of knowledge, values and culture from the older experienced family members, to the younger ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The community were I grew up lives a culture in which family is also extremely important. Weekly dinners are spent with my extended family including grandparents, aunt, uncles and cousins. We value family and therefore strive to see eachother as often as possible. Family helps eachother out, whether it be inside or outside the business world.

    ReplyDelete